Monday, April 7, 2014

A Hat and a Feather

I've had one busy weekend working on some DT projects that are due - as well as running a card stamping workshop at my church - and then raking up the back yard (at least it was a gorgeous day in the 50's and sunny!) but after watching "Call the Midwife" on TV while I ate supper - I went into my craft room for some fun stamping!

First I have a card that friend at work asked me to make for her mother's friend who is celebrating her 80th b'day this month -  she's a fashion Diva - particularly loving hats.
I stamped this hat on watercolor paper in red - then I used Ranger Distress Markers and my water brush pen to color it - I cut out out and layered it over this die cut and stamped dress form from PTI.  I layered it all on a water color panel I die cut with my favorite Stitched Mat rectangle die from Lil' Inker Designs.
My card design was inspired by this week's Case Study - which I flipped left to right.
I made my second card to send to a friend from church who landed in the hospital last week with pneumonia in both of her lungs.  She's been there for 4 days now so I'm sending her cards to let her know my thoughts and prayers are with her.  
I used Fine Feather Stamps  Waltzingmouse - that I stamped on a feather die cut out of vellum.  I layered the feather over the watercolored splats using 2 thick dots so the feather is higher in the center and bends down towards each end. 
 I made the splats with a Ranger Distress Marker that I then brushed around with my water brush pen and also used the pen to flick the dots while the pen had ink in the brush.
My design for this card was inspired by this weeks Cas(e) this sketch
I hope you can stop by again on Tuesday -  I'll be posting a wonderful new box template from Creations by AR!

Hat Card
Stamps:  Dress Form Signature Series - PTI, Hat from Fashion Icon Set - Rubbernecker
Paper:  Vintage Cream, White - PTI, Ranger Water Color Paper
Ink:  Archival Sienna and Jet Black, Crumb Cake - SU
Accessories:  word window punch - SU, Stitched Rectangle Die - Lil' Inker Designs, Sequins - Neat and Tangles, dress form Die - PTI, water brush pen, Ranger Distress Markers Shabby Shutters, Barn Door and Spiced Marmelade.

Feather Card
Stamps:  Fine Feathers - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  White, Hibiscus Burst - PTI, Watercolor Paper - Ranger, Vellum - SU
Ink:  Archival Jet Black, Crumb Cake - SU
Accessories:  Fine Feathers Die - Waltzingmouse, Zots Thick Glue Dots, Ranger Distress Marker Worn Lipstick, water brush pen.

13 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Such pretty cards Julia! Love the beautiful dressform and the fancy feather on the second! Wow!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Gorgeous cards Julia! I love them both and will be imitating them with stamps I have on hand! I have been using a tracing wheel to edge my papers but the clean lines of the stitches rectangle mats you've used are calling to me. I think I might have to splurge on a set! Thanks as always for the inspiration! Hugs!

~amy~ said...

Both of your cards are gorgeous! They will love them. I especially love the feather one, wow.

Deborah Frings said...

Both cards are just lovely. I really like the second one with the soft flowers and the pretty vellum feather!

1CardCreator said...

Both of these are gorgeous. Thanks for leaving me a sweet comment too. ~Diane

Annette Allen said...

wow both are totally amazing... that one with the feather is just GORGEOUS..

Shirley said...

Okay for you, Julia!! These are both lovely! I had to read and take a close up of the second. I thought it was a real feather at first!! Beautiful!

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

These are sooo BEAUTIFUL Julia! LOVE them both!

Jeanne J said...

Two great cards Julia. I love the pop of color on the one with the hat, and the feather is so soft and delicate looking. Great way to show off your style!

Jen W. said...

Love that fabulous red hat on the first card! And the feather on the vellum is stunning - so soft looking! Thanks for playing along with CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

Joni nina Andaya said...

So BEAUTIFUL!!! So love the way you colored the hat :)

Joan B said...

these are lovely. LOVE that dressform card particularly. and the feather is sort of amazing. looks like a real feather. so delicate.

Betty J. said...

LOVE your card Julia :-). Great CAS design and your vellum feather is so cool. Thanks for playing along at CAS(E) this sketch and hope to see you again. ;-)