Saturday, January 4, 2014

We'll Miss You Charlene!

Today I have sad news to share - if you have been active on Split Coast Stampers then you no doubt knew Charlene Merrick (Lilluvsstampin), a sweet stamper from Michigan who was just a lovely person and friend. She also had a blog - WhereMMsGather (she loved M and M's!) No - I never met her in person, but you know how stampers are - you 'meet' them in the stamping community and become fast friends.

Charlene was diagnosed about a year ago with brain and liver cancer -  pretty much out of the blue - with no prior symptoms until the diagnosis.  And she finally succumbed to this terrible disease a few days ago.  A lot of us were sending her cards quite regularly to let her know there were people thinking of her.  So today - I made my final card for Charlene - to send to her husband Terry - with deepest sympathy.  Charlene - we will miss you but know you are now with God and no longer suffering from the illness in your body.

I used a brand new stamp set I just got from Avery Elle for my card, with a stitched mat die from Lil' Inker Designs and an embossing strip from Tim Holtz Alterations.
My card was inspired by the Case Study challenge

I also made a card for the Cas-ology Cue Card Challenge - Party
 
 I found a tutorial by Libby Stamps for this wonderful star made from 6 hexagons that are scored and folded - so easy quick and fun! I added some washi tape and stamped a sentiment from Waltzingmouse right on it. 
Here's the inside of my card:
 
Sending Prayers:
Stamps:  Thanks a Bunch - Avery Elle
Paper:  White - PTI, White - Bazzill
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Danube Blue, Love Letter and Cottage Ivy
Accessories:  Sequins - Caribbean Blend/Avery Elle, Stitched Mats Rectangles - Lil' Inker Designs, embossing strip - Springtime Background and Borders Set - Tim Holtz Alterations Texture Fades, Copic - Y06, foam dots, Glossy Accents.

It's Your Day
Stamps: Free Spirit Sentiments - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  Grey, Butter - Bazzill, DP - Sn@p/Simple Stories
Ink:  Archival Jet Black
Accessories:  Star Tutorial from Libby Stamps blog, washi tape - Freckled Fawn, enamel dots - My Minds Eye, foam dots, ScorPal, Dienamics Hexagons - MFT, Hexagon Nestabilities.

17 comments:

jdmommy - Anne Harmon said...

Lovely tribute to our friend Charlene.

~amy~ said...

Oh no, that's so sad to hear about a fellow crafter. Her husband will definitely appreciate your kind gesture.

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful interpretation of a party. Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Riet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Riet said...

So beautiful Julia.

Hugs Riet.xx

Joan Ervin said...

A beautiful card for a beautiful lady...Terry will appreciate your thoughtfulness!!! I love your hexagon star, too...I'll have to give that a try!!!

Marybeth said...

Oh ,Julia so sad. Sorry! The card you made for Charlene's family is gorgeous. Your party card is very pretty in yellow.

Mona Pendleton said...

I am sorry to read this sad news Julia. I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. Such beautiful cards! Surely your card will bring comfort to her loved ones.

Charlene said...

Such a beautiful tribute to charlene. That is so sad...Cancer effects so many people I know and is so devestating :-(..

Loll Thompson said...

Lovely tribute to Charlene ... she will be missed by so many. Loll xx

Ardyth Percy-Robb said...

Love the fun folds and colour combination! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology! Happy New Year!

Kelly S. said...

I was shocked to see this on Facebook as I have not been active on SCS as I should be. So terribly sad about it. I pray for peace for her family and friends and take comfort knowing that she does not have to suffer pain any more. What a beautiful card, Julia!

Sue from Oregon said...

Julia, I am sure her family will treasure your card and wonderful friendship with Charlene. So sad to lose a dear friend.

Your fun fold card is so striking-great use of double sided paper here!

Gillian R said...

Wonderful cards and love your paperfolding. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology

Kelly Griglione said...

Gorgeous cards ... love the colors on your floral card (what a very sad story), and the hexie flower card is so fun.

libbystamps said...

Thanks Julia for linking back to me, libbystamps, on this awesome star! I was so tickled to see this. And, your star turned out fabulous! LOVED your choice of colors, quite nice!

libbystamps said...

I am truly saddened to hear about the loss of Charlene. I was not familiar with her in the stamping world, but none the less, it's sad when someone passes.
You were very kind to make this for her family. Even more, it was kind of you to link me up in your post. Thank you-