Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Mixed Media Baby Boy

I'm so excited to share my mixed media baby boy gift bag with you today!
I made it using the colors for the Mixed Media Color Challenge -  blue, turquoise and a neutral

My hairdresser is having her 2nd child in Sept - and my last appointment with her before she goes on maternity leave is in August.  I wanted to give her a little something for her new baby boy -  she has a 4 year old daughter, Amya, so I know she could use something in boy colors!

I made this cute little 'nest' to put on the bag using blue and brown  felt rick rack and a thin strip of burlap.  I adhered a blue heart with a sequin to the nest.
Here's a pic of how I made the nest - braiding the 3 pieces together.  I adhered the braided piece to a felt circle starting at the center and wrapping it around, gluing here and there as I went.  For my little nest I made the strips 10" long and I cut a 1 " circle for the felt base.
I found instructions for this sweet nest on Melissa Phillips blog here:
For my bag - I used black acrylic paint on the Mini Chicken Wire stencil and black ink for the sentiments.
I lightly sprayed Cornflower Walnut Ink over the whole bag, tag and stork that was stamped on a piece of sticky back canvas.  I attached the tag to the bag with a brad.
I brushed Snow Cone Gellato mixed with water over the Mini Hexagon Stencil for the blue at the bottom of the bag. 

And here are the cute sock booties and bibs that I rolled up and put in this sweet gift bag.
The linen bag measures 6" x 10" -  I think she'll like this -  She'll certainly not receive another gift bag like it!
 I'm also entering this in the Just Us Girls challenge this week - Mixed Media.

Today is the 4th day of our week vacation -  Kent and I are heading off to the Museum of Russian Icons  in Clinton, MA - where they are having a special exhibit of Matryoshka - Russian Nesting dolls - this month. It's been so hot out we are trying to find things to do indoors!

Stamps:  Cornish Heritage Farms - Baby Love
Paper:  Tempting Turquoise - SU
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black
Accessories:  linen bag - Pouch Mart.com, felt rick rack - Ofray  (Michaels),  burlap - JoAnns, blue felt - Michaels, scallop heart Nestability, mini hexagon and mini chick wire stencils - The Crafters Workshop, Copics B21, Y21, Fabric Fusion Adhesive - Aleene's, tag die - Tag Sale #3 - PTI, Corn Flower Walnut Ink Spray - Tsukineko,  Natural sticky back canvas - Claudine Helmuth's Studio Ranger, black acrylic paint - Ceramcoat, blue sequins from stash.

11 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

What an adorable altered gift bag Julia! I love your sweet little birds nest and the blue hexagons! What a fantastic gift idea! Thanks so much for joining along with A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

Jill Norwood said...

Julia this is adorable! Love the hexagons in blue with the sweet little nest you made! I bet your friend will love receiving it! :)

*Vicki* said...

WOW!! So many fun elements on your bag!! Such a darling design and colors! :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh how fun and beautiful Julia!! I love all the texture, your blue, the sweet birds and all your details!!

Crystal said...

Oh my word how fun, adorable, and so creative gf!!!! Love the bag!!!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Seriously - I look so forward to your ABC projects! You have an incredible knack for ROCKING THEM out!! This is so cute and clever using multi media stamping on it! Thanks for joining in with JUGS!!

stampingbowd said...

What a fabulous gift bag!!! Love the nest and the fun expression on the stork! Super fun project!

Marisa said...

Your gift bag is fabulous!! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls this week!

Maria said...

Absolutely adorable!!!

Sue Lelli said...

Julia, this bag is just INCREDIBLE, LOVE the nest and the heart and the stork and just Everything! Thx for playing with us at A Mixed Media Color Challenge!

Dianne said...

Well I'm not the only one to have a busy week. This bag is BRILLIANT,Love how you painted and inked the bag, your tag is great, oh man I looooove the nest, the gift inside is perfect, I'm sure she will love it, thanks for sharing..