Monday, January 14, 2013

Dreams Take Flight with an Owl

Hi everyone!  I've got two cards to share today -  First a no layer card made for the Case Study Challenge where this lovely picture was our inspiration:
and here's the card I created - the bird with the heart flight trail is from Inkadinkadoo and I inked it with Memento Love Letter and Rose Bud, and Ranger Distress Worn Lipstick inks.  The sentiment is from Happy Trails from Papertrey Ink.  I added one rhinestone to the bird wing for a little shimmer.

and I made my second card for the Color Challenge over on Split Coast.  I'm sampling for hostess Peggy this week (that's why I got my card done a little early!)  Her colors for us are Rose Red, Wisteria Wonder and Pink Pirouette (or red, purple and pink!)  And the optional dessert is to use circles.
I have to blame thank my blogging buddy Anne Harada for introducing me to this cute little critter -  see her inspiring post here.  This adorable owl card is made using the Sizzix Owl #2 die.  He/she cracks me up just looking at him!!!   I used purple and pink patterned paper from PTI and Rose Red from SU for the heart.  The sentiment is from Wise Owl from Papertrey Ink.

To make the owl a card -  I used a 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" card base and placed it on the die with the fold just under the top of the head line so it didn't cut across the top.  Then I cut a piece of patterned paper with the full owl and adhered it over the front of the card.  I sponged all the edges of the patterned paper with Ranger Distressed Milled Lavender.

 Here's a view from the back.  The big round eyes on the die leave an impression on the cards, not cutting through but you can see the imprint - so that shows on the inside and back of the card.  Not sure why they made the die this way - maybe for placement of the eyes.  I'm trying to figure out a way to cover them - at least on the inside of the card -  probably I'll use a plain white panel.  Has anyone else used this die and solved this 'eye mark' problem???
Anyhow - he/she is still as cute as she can be!!  and there are so many possibilities for different looks just by using different patterned papers!  You can see more owls by Diane Zechman here and another one by Jeanne Streiff here!
Thanks for stopping by today!

Let your Dreams Take Flight:
Stamps:  Bird - Inkadinkadoo, sentiment from Happy Trails set - Papertrey Ink
Paper:  white - PTI
Ink:  Versafine onyx black, Memento Love Letter and Rose Bud, Ranger Distress  Worn Lipstick.
Accessories: rhinestone - Kaiser

Owl be Yours
Stamps:  sentiment from Wise Owl - Papertrey Ink
Paper:  white, true black - PTI, rose red - SU, patterned pink and purple paper from Text Styles Happy Spots - Papertrey Ink
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger Distress Milled Lavender
Accessories: word window punch - SU, Sizzix die Owl #2


13 comments:

Annette said...

aww i love that adorable owl..so cute..

Anonymous said...

I made these cards last week. My owl's eyes actually cut all the way through the paper. I actually chopped out the eye blades altogether.

Christina said...

Your polka dotted owl is so adorable! But I love the clean design of your first card, too. The gradient inking you did on the bird is fantastic! Thanks for sharing it with us at CASE Study!

Anne Harada said...

Great post today Julia! The CAS card is lovely and WHOOO dosn't love an owl! They're so much fun and a simple enough design that you can give them endless personalities!! Cute as can be GF!!

*Vicki* said...

Oh I just LOVE these Julia!! Really gorgeous Valentine style designs...especially love the hearts! :)

Melody said...

Great cards! I just love the cascade of hearts and that owl is just so cute!

Lynn Mercurio said...

These are both amazing, Julia. You have an avian theme going on here. The elegant bird and the whimsical owl...both incredibly creative.

Mona L. Pendleton said...

What sweet cards Julia! Lovin' all the hearts and that owl is adorable!

dpkennedy said...

I love simple cards like the take flight...bold, simple, and elegant! Then my jaw popped open at the sight of that adorable owl! Love it!

Maureen said...

that bird with the hearts is too adorable! I've never seen that image :) Thanks for playing with us over on CASE STudy this week :)

Michele Gross said...

That owl card is really really cute!!!

** Stempelgaudi ** said...

our owl-card is very nice. I love this die. If you want to see my owls, please klick here: Klick to Monis owls by **Stempelgaudi**
See you
greetings
Moni

Paulette S said...

It turned out so cute! Be thankful that your die didn't cut out the eye holes, like mine did. I altered my die and took out the blades that cut out the eye holes, because I wanted to use it as a folded card and in other applications as well. http://paulettesprettypapercrafts.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/sizzix-owl-2-die/,

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin