Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Simple Joys Soaking up the Sun!

This beautiful butterfly box designed by Qbee was the Try A New Technique challenge on Split Coast this week. I used the wonderful butterfly designer paper by Basic Grey and the Cuttlebug die cut butterfly that comes with 4 embossing options.

I inked the front of the butterfly folder with red ink before embossing it to give it the color - then colored with copics and a white gel pen to try and mimic the coloring on the DP (mine didn't come out quite so pretty!). I sponged the edges of the box and the sentiment rectangle with black and also used So Saffron on the sentiment (Green Thumb by PTI). The butterfly and sentiment are popped up on foam dimensionals. Wouldn't this make a great little gift box with some candies or a small gift tucked inside?! And it works up really fast.

Stamps: Sentiment: Green Thumb: PTI
Paper: White, Summer Sunrise: PTI, Basic Black: SU, DP Basic Grey Pattern Paper/Ambrosia/winsome
Ink: pure poppy: PTI, Memento Tuxedo Black, So saffron: SU
Accessories: Swiss dots cuttlebug folder, butterfly cuttlebug folder and die, copics: 100, C6, white gel pen, Martha Stewart Butterfly punch, tacky tape, foam dimensionals, rectangle nestability, gemstones: Hero Arts, glue dot, sponge
This week's CAS (Clean and Simple) challenge on Split Coast was an inspiration challenge - we were to look at the Lands End Towels and Totes catalogue. I was inspired by this towel.


I immediately thought of the Basic Grey Urban Prairie designer paper and used it for my 'towel' under the bathing beauty from the MFT set "Hit the Beach". I colored the flip flops, cut them out and popped them up over the sentiment. My rectangle nestability wasn't the exact size I needed - so I cut the closest size then cut one edge off and overlapped it to the size I wanted. This beauty reminded me that summer is coming and even though I don't wear a bikini like this anymore - I do have to think about fitting into my tankini soon!! ok - I'm off for a walk now!! LOL!!!

Stamps: Hit the Beach: My Favorite Things
Paper: White, Pure Poppy: PTI, DP Urban Prairie Paper Pad
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Scalloped rectangle nestability, cuttlebug, copics: G00, BG12, R29, R32, E00, E13, foam dimensionals

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOWZER!! Julia, your butterfly bag is just gorgeous!! I love it!! :)

Your sandy beach card is just adorable!! Beautiful coloring! TFS!

~amy~ said...

Julia, your butterfly box is absolutely fantabulous!!! Wow...the BG Ambrosia is the perfect choice of dp!!!! Your CAS card is perfect too...you are rockin' the challenges with your perfect pattern paper picks!!!

Crystal said...

Julia WOW girl your butterfly box is beautiful, I just love that line from basic grey!!! Gorgeous work!!!

Tenia Nelson said...

All of your Paper Craft projects are awesome!!! tfs!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Great cards! I love the flip-flops popped up over the sentiment - that card is cute all over! The butterfly box is just amazing . . .

Dawn Easton said...

Wow Julia! That butterfly tote is amazingly beautiful!
Your MFT CAS card is GREAT too! That is an image I've always wanted and never gotten...thanks for the inspiration!

dpkennedy said...

Oh these are fabulous! Love that butterfly box! Your make the most wonderful projects! The towel card is so pretty too...perfect paper!

Anne Harada said...

LOVE the butterfly and I just love the MFT card. The Urban Prairie dP is perfect, and I love the little flip flops you placed over the sentiment!! Wonderful design Julia!

lisa808 said...

Julia, this is fabulous and the paper you used is perfect. Thanks for the link to the templates. I definitely want to make this. Great opportunity to finally use my Sizzix butterfly die.