Thursday, July 17, 2008

Reflecting on Boston

I needed to make a thankyou/farewell card for a physician that is leaving the hospital where I work next week. I decided to use the sketch challenge over at Split Coast as well as this Zindorf Tutorial for my card.

Here's the sketch we were to use.

I've been wanting to use this skyline stamp from My Favorite Things since I got it - particularly the way Michelle did with the reflection - and it worked perfectly to represent the Boston Harbor Skyline.



The top buildings are clear embossed to protect them when you sponge - but the bottom reflected buildings are not embossed. You use a darker color marker on the top row of buildings and a lighter hue of the color on the reflected part (see the marker colors on my supply list below).


Then you sponge the sky with Soft Sky ink, Not Quite Navy ink and then a little black ink as per the tutorial.


You stamp the mirror image of the buildings using a mirror image stamp by Rubber Stampede - I got mine at Michaels - it's just a rectangular stamp of plain red rubber on wood. You stamp your image on that with black ink - stamp it upside down on your card stock - then stamp the image using the original image stamp just above it right side up - this works best with a clear stamp which this building stamp is - as you can see where you are stamping it above the mirror image. - clear as mud??? Michele's tutorial above shows pictures so don't panic!!

I took a little poetic license with the sentiment and added 'Boston' to cover 'the world' to fit my purposes for this card.


It's no where near as lovely as Michele's - I can't tell you how many attempts are on the floor - but I'm learning!

Stamps: Going Places: My Favorite Things, Snap Stamps: Karen Foster, Mirror Image Stamp: Rubber Stampede Paper: White: PTI, Basic Black: SU, green Bazzill, DP: Arctic Frog - Lilly Pads
Ink: Onyx Black Versafine, Basic Black, Not Quite Navy, Soft Sky: SU
Accessories: Oval punch, nestability petite rectangle, cuttlebug, SU Markers: Almost amythyst, lovely lilac, gable green, green galore, pretty in pink, cameo coral, embossing pen, clear EP, hot gun, sponges, foam dimensionals, photo corner punch, spring moss saddle stitched Ribbon: PTI

9 comments:

Susan said...

What an excellent card, Julia, you applied the brayered technique very well! Love the reflection of the cityscape on your water and I'm sure the doc will consider it a wonderful reminder of his time in Boston!

wendyp said...

Wow, love this!

Beverly said...

This card is fantastic! Thanks for expaining the reflection, I always wondered how that worked and I love that you took poetic license with it.. now that is art!

Denise Marzec said...

Wow, Julia, looooove the reflection effect with this MFT stamp. Wowzers!!

...thanks for the tip on the mirror image stamp. I've never seen them, but I'll be looking for one now. :)

Terri said...

I think you did a great job on it!

Deb Neerman said...

A-mazin', Julia!!!! It looks great ... and every bit as nice as Michelle's. LOVE it!!

~Hugs,

LeAnne said...

Very clever card!
LeAnne

dpkennedy said...

This is great! Love the reflection and the bold colors!

Carol Dunstan said...

great card!